Happy Winter Break!
It is now December 23rd and winter break has just begun. Once all the eating and gift giving subsides you will definitely be looking for some free or low-cost fun! Here are my top five suggestions!
1. Visit your local library for a free program! You can make a winter bracelet at Hazelwood or a party hat at Main on Wednesday. And all week long you can get your game on at you nearest library: East Liberty, Hill District, Allegheny, Hazelwood, Main, and Downtown.
2. Go ice skating! At Schenley Skating Rink, one session and skate rental is only $5.50 for those age 17 and under! The Rink at PPG Place in downtown Pittsburgh or the brand new “Penguins Pond” in the South Side Works will each run you $9.00 with skate rental.
3. Bowling. It might sound lame but bowling with a group of friends are some of my fondest memories. At Forward Lanes in Squirrel Hill there are all you can bowl deals for $10.00 a person including shoes! Check out teen friendly Rock ‘n Bowl and Pizza, Pop & Bowling at Arsenal Lanes on Butler St. in Lawrenceville.
4. Trip to the movies. Many local movie theaters have weekday discounts. Check out $5.00 Mondays or no 3D surcharge Wednesdays at the SouthSide Works Cinema. Shows before 6:00PM Monday through Thursday at the AMC Loews Waterfront are also discounted to $5.00.
5. Last but not least… FIREWORKS on New Years Eve! Check out the website for the Cultural District’s First Night 2012 Celebration for information about the best places to view the fireworks! Hint: There are shows at 6:00 PM and Midnight.
Please have a safe and happy Winter Break! If you have anything to add please feel free to comment!
-Michael (CLP Hazelwood)